The first impression you make on the world often starts with your smile. Dingy, dull, crooked or chipped teeth create the appearance of an “old” smile, making you look older than your actual years. Restoring your smile’s youthful look is an easy way to subtract years from the image you portray to the world. Thanks to advances in modern cosmetic dentistry, your smile can appear as young as you feel.
As tooth enamel thins with age, teeth lose their shine and appear darker. Thin enamel also causes teeth to weaken, making them easier to chip and causing wear and shifting. Cosmetic dentistry offers many procedures and treatments to address these problems and help return your smile to a younger, more vibrant state. Just a few options you may want to consider include:
- Professional teeth whitening to improve the color of teeth that have been darkened by stains or discolored from age.
- Porcelain veneers and bonding to correct gaps, chips, and teeth with uneven lengths. Veneers can also reshape teeth, restoring the youthful appearance created by longer teeth. Veneers can also be used to build up your back teeth to support the cheekbones, replacing the fullness lost with aging and giving your face the appearance of a “lift”.
- Orthodontia with either clear or traditional braces corrects the misalignment caused by teeth that shift as you age.
If your desire is to look as youthful as you feel, cosmetic dentistry may be a perfect solution to address the problems of an aging smile. Many procedures can be completed in as little as one office visit, with little to no recovery time. Consult with a qualified cosmetic dentist to find out how you can achieve a younger, more perfect smile.
If you need a dentist in Meriden contact us today
You finally have the smile of your dreams, so you want to make sure you take proper care of your bright new smile to keep it looking as fantastic as it makes you feel. Your cosmetic dental treatments and restorations can continue to look their best for many years with just a few dental health care tips and tricks:
- Use a non-abrasive fluoride toothpaste to avoid scratching and dulling the surface of your restorations. Just as you would with regular oral care, brush and floss two to three times per day immediately after meals, if possible.
- Avoid mouthwashes that contain alcohol which can damage fillings and deteriorate the bond between crowns and veneers.
- Limit between meal snacks and foods that are high in sugar that can promote decay and the development of cavities.
- Refrain from eating and drinking foods and beverages such as tea, wine, coffee, and berries that are notorious for staining the surface of teeth.
- Avoid chewing or biting on hard objects such as fingernails, pens or bottle caps.
- Wear a mouth guard when playing contact or combat sports.
- If you grind your teeth while sleeping, wear a night guard to avoid damage to your teeth or restorations.
- Maintain a regular schedule of bi-annual dental checkups and cleanings.
Although they will eventually need to be repeated or replaced, many cosmetic treatments and restorations can last as long as ten to fifteen years. With excellent care and attention, you can extend the life of your smile makeover and keep it looking fresh and fabulous for years. Take the time to take care of your smile, and it will reward you with years of beautiful smiles in return.
Our dental office is located in Meriden
Broken, chipped, stained, or crooked teeth can ruin an otherwise nice smile. Minor flaws like these can be easily corrected with dental veneers. They are a popular way to whiten, straighten, and improve smiles to get long-lasting and natural-looking results. Here are some reasons that veneers are chosen by many people wanting to change their look.
Veneers are thin porcelain shells customized to fit securely onto the front surfaces of your teeth. They hide problems and fit in beautifully with the rest of your features. Your smile will be made brand new.
No more stains
Yellow or stained teeth can really make a smile look unattractive. Some discolorations are very hard to get rid of, even with professional cleanings or whitening. Veneers instantly brighten your smile to the shade of your choice, and resist stains so that you no longer have to worry about the foods and drinks you consume.
If your teeth alignment problems aren’t major and you don’t want to go to the hassles or expense of braces, veneers may be a solution. They go right over crooked teeth to create a straight smile.
Veneers can be provided in just a couple of office visits. You will have a short time between getting temporary and permanent veneers attached, but once they are in you’ll immediately have an improved smile.
Veneers can last a lifetime if you take proper care of them. Regular brushing, flossing, and checkups will help ensure a sparkling smile for many years to come.
Side effects with veneers are nearly non-existent. There may be some initial discomfort, but it subsides quickly and can be treated with over-the-counter medications. The only thing to remember is that veneers are permanent. Since a small amount of tooth enamel is removed to accommodate the veneers, you’ll have them forever or will need to get replacements at some point.
Cosmetic dentist in Meriden
Are you unhappy with the appearance of your smile? Will the improvements you desire need multiple dentistry treatments to achieve the results you are seeking? You may be an ideal candidate for a smile makeover. A smile makeover is a process in which a number of cosmetic dentistry treatments are combined to perfect your smile. Usually, a smile makeover will include options like teeth whitening, dental bonding, porcelain veneers, invisible braces, composite fillings or gum contouring.
Broadly, anyone who has problems with their teeth is a candidate for a smile makeover. However, the best candidate for a smile makeover will be in good general and oral health. You should be free from gum disease and any other ailments or health problems that would preclude undergoing cosmetic dentistry procedures. An ideal candidate will also have grown in all permanent teeth and completed their jaw growth, making a smile makeover inappropriate for young children.
You may be an ideal candidate for a smile makeover if your smile is marred by a number of imperfections including:
- Discolored or stained teeth
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Crooked, twisted, or incorrectly placed teeth
- Decayed teeth
- Gapped or widely-spaced teeth
- Gummy smile
- Unhealthy gums
- Bite conditions such as overbite or underbite
The appearance and health of your smile are vital to your self-confidence and overall happiness. Smile makeovers are safe and effective for most candidates, with little to no side effects. To determine if a smile makeover is right for you, contact an experienced, qualified cosmetic dentist for a one-on-one consultation.
If you need a dentist in Meriden contact us today
Due to the increased interest in cosmetic dentistry, many family dentists are becoming trained to offer more extensive procedures and treatments geared to improve the appearance of your smile. Many of these treatments are quick and painless, and can offer almost instant results. Some of the cosmetic dentistry options offered by your family dentist may include:
- Professional teeth whitening to improve the color and brightness of dark, dingy, or discolored teeth
- Placement of dental veneers to improve the look of gapped, stained, or crooked teeth
- Replacement of old or unattractive metal fillings with more natural, tooth-colored materials
- Placement of crowns and bridges to repair and replace missing or severely damaged teeth
- Correction of small spaces or gaps between teeth by bonding with tooth-colored composite resin
- Insertion of dental implants to replace missing teeth
- Straightening of teeth and correction of bite problems with braces or Invisalign
Because your family dentist is already aware of your family’s dental history, it will be simple to recommend treatment plans. With this knowledge, your dentist can also quickly and expertly assess if you or other members of your family are suitable candidates for the procedures you are seeking. Your family dentist can perform all the same services as both a pediatric dentist and a general dentist, and will be able to address the cosmetic dental concerns of every member of your family. Family dentists can provide advice as to which procedures are age appropriate and give guidelines for when treatment is recommended.
If anyone in your family is not pleased with the appearance of their teeth, consult first with your family dentist to find out what cosmetic dental procedures and treatments are offered to improve the quality of their smile.
If you live in the Meriden area contact us today
Enamel bonding and recontouring is an easy way to hide small imperfections in your teeth, or to lengthen or change the overall shape. Treatment can often be completed in one visit to your dentist in Meriden and it’s extremely affordable. Even small changes can make quite a difference to your appearance. Enamel bonding and recontouring can both be carried out as separate treatments but they are often combined to give the best results.
Enamel recontouring can deal with issues such as slightly overlapping teeth or teeth that are just a bit out of alignment. Enamel bonding uses tooth colored composite resin materials to hide small imperfections. Your general dentist in Meriden can determine if one or both treatments are required. Before either of these procedures is carried out, your dentist will need to take dental x-rays and to examine your mouth, making sure your teeth and gums are healthy.
Enamel recontouring involves removing tiny amounts of tooth enamel to adjust the overall shape, position or length of your teeth. The amount removed is minimal and the effects can be subtle but noticeable. Afterwards the enamel is smoothed and polished to give a natural sheen.
The process for enamel bonding is equally straightforward. First your dentist in Meriden will apply an acidic liquid to your teeth which has the effect of slightly roughening the tooth surfaces and increasing the bond between the composite resin and your tooth. Next, your dentist will carefully apply the composite resin to the tooth, hardening the material using a special light. Finally, the composite resin will be shaped and polished to complete the process.
If you live in the Meriden area contact us today