Proper dental care and oral health should start early in life. Because children’s needs and dental procedures are different than those of adults, it’s important to find a family dental practice that can meet the needs of even the youngest members of your family. Your child’s first dental checkup should take place before the age of one, as soon as the first tooth has erupted. Some of the pediatric dental care options to look for in a family dental practice include:
- Child specific dental health exams and risk assessment
- Preventative oral care including cleanings, sealants, and fluoride treatments
- Care for dental trauma such as fractured, displaced or knocked-out teeth
- Treatment of dental cavities and defects
- Identification and treatment of gum inflammation and disease
- Early assessment, treatment, and recommendations for misaligned teeth or an improper bite
Along with the proper pediatric training, it’s essential that your family dentist is equipped to make your child feel comfortable and relaxed at dental visits. Many practices offer child-friendly amenities such as game rooms, videos, and prizes and rewards for completing a successful visit. Ask your family dentist if they allow parents to accompany children in the treatment room, as this will put both you and your child at ease.
To ensure a lifetime of excellent oral health, your child should visit the dentist every six months for dental cleanings and checkups. Children are not born with a fear of the dentist, and with the right family dental practice they should never have to develop that fear. Take the time to find a family dental practice that understands the special attention required to treat children so your entire family can enjoy visiting the dentist.
If you live in the Meriden area contact us today